Healthy Communities

FAQs - Radiologic Technology Licensure

Q: I want to know the current status of a license/certificate holder. Where can I find this information?

Answer: You can find the issuance date, expiration date, category, and other information by clicking this link: Radiologic Technology Licensure Verification.

Q: Do I need an Arkansas license to administer ionizing radiation to humans in the State of Arkansas?

Answer: Yes. The Consumer-Patient Radiation Health and Safety Act, codified as Arkansas Code Annotated §§17-106-101 – 17-106-111 and 17-106-201 – 17-106-204, states that a person shall not apply ionizing radiation or administer radiopharmaceuticals to a human being unless that person possesses a valid Arkansas radiologic technology license or has otherwise been specifically exempted from the law. A.C.A. §17-106-111 contains a list of persons who are considered exempt, including: dentists, dental hygienists, registered dental assistants with the expanded duty of radiography, radiation health physicists, radiation medical physicists, chiropractic externs, bone densitometrists, certified medical dosimetrists, and students enrolled in and attending a school of radiologic technology, radiation therapy, or nuclear medicine with recognized educational accreditation who uses radioactive material on or applies ionizing radiation to a human being while under the supervision of a Licensed Practitioner or licensed radiologic technologist. Licensed Practitioners (defined in A.C.A. 17-106-103 as a person licensed to practice medicine, dentistry, podiatry, chiropractic, osteopathy, or optometry in this state) are also exempt from the requirement for radiologic technology licensure.

Q: What types of certification are offered in Arkansas?

Answer: Arkansas offers six types of certification: (RTL) Radiologic Technologist (Radiography); (NML) Nuclear Medicine Technologist; (RRT) Radiation Therapy Technologist; (LSL) Limited Specialty Licensure (RCIS); (LLT) Limited Licensed Technologist in Chest, Extremities, Skull-Sinus, Spine, or Podiatry; and (LTL) Grandfather Provision Licensure, which ended July 30, 2000.

Arkansas provides two avenues of certification for Radiologic Technology professionals: Certification or licensure, by a current certificate issued by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP), American Chiropractic Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ACRRT), Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI-RCIS), the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB), or certification by the ARRT Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination.

According to A.C.A. §17-106-107, “Licensing requirements,” all applicants desiring certification must submit a completed application along with the required fee; be at least 18 years of age at the time of application; be of good moral character; and have been awarded a high school diploma or have passed the General Educational Development Test or the equivalent. Those applying to become Radiologic Technologists, Radiation Therapists, or Nuclear Medicine Technologists must have satisfactorily completed an approved course of study in radiography, radiation therapy, or nuclear medicine, respectively, that is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology,

Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology, or regional or national accreditation as deemed acceptable by the Arkansas State Board of Health; and the curriculum for each course of study shall follow the standards approved by the U.S. Department of Education, provided that the standards do not conflict with Arkansas State Board of Health policies. Those applying to become Limited Licensed Technologists must pass the Arkansas certification exam which is the ARRT Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination in Core, Chest, Extremities, Skull/Sinus, Spine, or Podiatry. Individuals challenging the Limited Scope Examination may apply for a Temporary Limited Skeletal License while employed under the supervision of a Licensed Practitioner for a period of 180 days. If the temporary licensee has not successfully passed the Core and his/her selected skeletal modules, the temporary licensee may renew for another 180-day Temporary Limited Skeletal Licensure period. If the Limited Scope examination is not passed before the Temporary License expires, he/she must cease performing Limited Skeletal radiography on humans as of the Temporary License expiration date.

Q: How do I become licensed to perform (routine skeletal procedures) x-rays?

Answer: If you are NOT a Registered Radiologic Technologist, in good standing with ARRT, you are required to become a Temporary Licensee.

Q: What is a Temporary Licensee?

Answer: A Temporary Licensee is an individual training on-the-job under the supervision of a Licensed Practitioner and preparing to take the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination. This license type is also issued to individuals who have recently graduated from an accredited Radiologic Technology, Nuclear Medicine, or Radiation Therapy Program and have met eligibility criteria to take the ARRT national registry or NMTCB certification examinations.

Q: When does my Temporary License expire?

Answer: A Temporary License is valid for six months. If you do not pass the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination or your ARRT Registry or NMTCB Certification Examination during that six- month period, you may renew your Temporary License for another six months. The renewal fee is the same as the initial Temporary License fee. The cost is $45.00 for one category and $65.00 for testing in more than one category. After you have passed The Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination, ARRT Registry, or NMTCB Certification Examination, your Temporary License fee, if not already expired, will be transferred to cover the license fee as a result of successful completion of your examination.

Q: Where will I go to take the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination?

Answer: Once you have mailed in your completed LSE application to the State of Arkansas and paid the fee of $140.00 to the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) to take the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination in the Core module and in the chest, extremity, skull/sinus, spine, and/or podiatry modules, you will receive an Examination Handbook for State Licensing Exams administered by ARRT. This Examination Handbook will give you step by step instructions for scheduling your exam appointment within the 90-day window in which you are assigned. Your Candidate Status Report will be included in your Examination Handbook. You must confirm, when scheduling your exam, the Pearson VUE testing center in which you would like to make your appointment to test. The Pearson VUE testing centers in the State of Arkansas are in Fort Smith, Little Rock, Rogers, and Texarkana, as well as Memphis, TN. You must ask for directions to those individual testing centers when scheduling your examination, if you do not know where they are located.


Q: What is a Limited License?

Answer: A Limited License is the license acquired by passing the Limited Scope Examination in chest, extremity, skull/sinus, spine, and/or podiatry. These individuals are only allowed to perform radiographic exams in the categories they have passed in the Limited Scope Examination. These individuals are NOT allowed to perform fluoroscopy or contrast media studies.

Q: What is a Radiologic Technologist License?

Answer: A Radiologic Technologist License is a license for individuals who have graduated from an accredited Radiologic Technology School and passed the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) Radiography national registry examination. These individuals are authorized to perform all types of radiography studies, including Computed Tomography, Mammography, Special Procedures, and Bone Densitometry.

Q: What is a Licensed Technologist License?

Answer: This license category was issued to individuals who had been trained on-the-job and were licensed under the “Grandfather” provision. This license is no longer issued.

Q: What other license types do you have?

Answer: Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Therapy. A description of these license types can be found on the Radiologic Technology Licensure Program’s Licensing Information webpage.

Q: Who can perform fluoroscopic procedures?

Answer: Any individual who performs fluoroscopic procedures is required to either hold a Licensed Technologist License or a Radiologic Technologist License. (Fluoroscopic procedures must be performed under the direct supervision of a Licensed Practitioner). After July 30, 2000, any individual who is not a registered Radiologic Technologist may only apply for a Limited License. A Limited Licensee is NOT authorized to perform fluoroscopic or contrast media studies.

Q: How many continuing education credits do I need to renew my license?

Answer: All licensees are required to earn six hours of continuing education credit per year in order to renew their license. The six hours of continuing education credits must have been acquired within the year preceding the date of renewal. Licensees must provide a current copy of his/her registry/certification card and present at least six hours of continuing education credits that have been earned during their current ARRT/NMTCB biennium.

Q: How much is the license fee?

Answer: The license fee for one modality or category is $45.00. The license fee for more than one modality or category is $65.00.

Q: May my license fee be paid by credit card?

Answer: You may use a credit card to pay renewal fees only, and that is by way of the Online Renewal System. You must have your renewal ID number and your verification code that is printed on your specific renewal invoice. You must immediately email your License Renewal Information Sheet, proof of continuing education, and a copy of your ARRT, NMTCB, or RCIS credentialing card (if applicable) to Applications may not be paid on-line.

Q: How much does it cost to take the Limited Scope Examination?

Answer: The fee to take the Limited Scope Examination is $140.00. This fee is to be paid directly to the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT). The examination fee will be charged each time the examination is taken.

Q: Is the State going to provide any more CE seminars?

Answer: The RTL Program will not be providing Continuing Education seminars at this time. We provided a Limited Scope Preparation seminar the first year of licensure to assist those not familiar with the CE process and to assist those preparing for the Limited Scope Examination. CE's are the licensee’s responsibility. Our office will be glad to share with you any CE opportunities that we are aware of in our state.

Q: Can you tell me more about Continuing Education requirements?

Answer: Yes! Please look at the Radiologic Technology Licensure Program’s Continuing Education webpage.

Public Health Accrediation Board
Arkansas Department of Health
© 2017 Arkansas Department of Health. All Rights Reserved.
4815 W. Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205-3867