ABESPA - Speech-Language Pathology Assistants
In Arkansas, a registration process is used to recognize and approve the use of Speech-Language Pathology Assistants and Aides in all settings. Individuals who wish to work as a speech-language pathology assistant or a speech-language pathology aide must register with his/her supervising speech-language pathologist with the Arkansas Board of Examiners in Speech Pathology and Audiology (ABESPA), or the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). The setting where the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant will be used dictates which agency the individuals register with:
- Speech-Language Pathologists, Speech-Language Pathology Assistants, and Speech-Language Pathology Aides working exclusively in school districts and public early childhood programs registered with the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech-Language Pathology Assistants in private practice or DDS centers register with ABESPA.
- Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech-Language Pathology Assistants working in multiple sites including both private practice and school districts/early childhood programs must register with ABESPA and ADE.
Once the appropriate application is completed and approved, the names of the supervising SLP, SLP-Assistant, and SLP-Aide are placed on a registration list by each agency and all lists are submitted to ABESPA. Individuals registering with ABESPA are approved through June 30 and must re-register by July 1 each year. Individuals registering with ADE are approved through August 31 and must re-register by September 1 each year.
A registration number is assigned to the SLP-Assistant and a memo with this number is provided each time the SLP-Assistant registers or renews registration. This memo verifies that the SLP-Assistant is registered and can be submitted to Medicaid. In the future, if an individual registers with another agency, the initial registration number will be used.
- Application Instructions to Register an SLP Assistant
- Application for Registration as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant
- Application to Supervise SLPAs
Helpful links for SLP-A registration information: