ABESPA - Speech-Language Pathology Assistants
In Arkansas, a registration process is used to recognize and approve the use of Speech Language Pathology Assistants and Aides in all settings. Individuals who wish to work as a speech-language pathology assistant or a speech-language pathology aide must register with his/her supervising speech-language pathologist with the Arkansas Board of Examiners in Speech Pathology and Audiology (ABESPA), or the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). The setting where the Speech Language Pathology Assistant will be used dictates which agency the individuals register with:
- Speech-Language Pathologists, Speech-Language Pathology Assistants and Speech-Language Pathology Aides working exclusively in school districts and public early childhood programs register with Arkansas Department of Education.
- Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech-Language Pathology Assistants in private practice or DDS centers register with ABESPA.
- Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech-Language Pathology Assistants working in multiple sites including both private practice and school districts/early childhood programs must register with ABESPA and ADE.
Once the appropriate application is completed and approved, the names of the supervising SLP, SLP-Assistant, and SLP-Aide are placed on a registration list by each agency and all lists are submitted to ABESPA. Individuals registering with ABESPA are approved through June 30 and must re-register by July 1 each year. Individuals registering with ADE are approved through August 31 and must re-register by September 1 each year.
A registration number is assigned to the SLP-Assistant and a memo with this number is provided each time the SLP-Assistant registers or renews registration. This memo verifies that the SLP-Assistant is registered and can be submitted to Medicaid. In the future if an individual registers with another agency, the initial registration number will be used.
- Application Instructions to Register a SLP Assistant
- Application for Registration as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant
- Application to Supervise SLPAs
- SLPA CPE Form
Helpful links for SLP-A registration information: