ASBN - LPN Equivalency Initial by Exam
To qualify for taking the NCLEX -PN via the equivalency provision, the applicant must meet the following:
- RN examination failures: Graduates of Board approved RN programs, upon submission of an official transcript directly from the school, and a copy of their RN examination failure results, may be admitted to the PN licensure examination provided they are otherwise qualified.
- Persons who have graduated from Arkansas Board approved LPTN programs after March 18, 1980.
The information contained herein is designed to assist you with information you need to begin the application process. Read the instructions and provide all required documentation. Applicants must complete the application process for both Arkansas State Board of Nursing (ASBN) and Pearson VUE to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX®). Additional instructions are located within the online system as you progress through the application process.
The following 1- 6 is required:
1. State Application for Licensure Information
- No application is complete until all required documentation and fees are received. Completed applications are valid for one year from date of submission.
- If needed, NCLEX accommodations can be requested when completing the state application for licensure.
- A valid United States social security number is required for individuals applying for licensure.
Declaration of Primary State of Residence
- Declaration of your Primary State of Residence is made within the application.
- Definition of Primary State of Residence: The state (also known as the home state) in which a nurse declares a primary residence for legal purposes. Sources used to verify a nurse’s primary residence may include but is not limited to, a current:
- driver’s license with a home address;
- federal income tax return with a primary state of residence declaration;
- voter registration card with a home address;
- military form no. 2058 (state of legal residence certificate); or
- W2 form from the United States government or any bureau, division, or agency thereof, indicating residence.
- If your primary state of residence is a compact state, you must apply for licensure in your primary state of residence. If your primary state of residence is Arkansas or a non-compact state, you can apply for licensure in Arkansas.
- Click here for a list of compact states.
2. Fee Information
- Click here for current fees.
- The accepted method of payment is with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover).
- Verify that the charges are correct before submitting application.
- ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- You will receive a payment receipt by email which should be printed as proof of payment.
3. Transcript Information
- An official transcript must be submitted to the Arkansas State Board of Nursing prior to eligibility to test.
- The official transcript must come directly from your school and must reflect registered nursing degree awarded.
- In accordance with the ASBN Rules, a transcript shall reflect:
- Courses taken,
- Dates of admission,
- State of separation or graduation from the program,
- Hours/credits, units earned, degree, diploma, or certificate awarded,
- Signature of the program director, registrar or official electronic signature and
- Seal of the school or be printed on security paper or an official electronic document.
4. Scope of Practice Licensed Practical Nurse Overview and Behaviors course Information
- Candidates are required to successfully complete a Board-approved course, The Licensed Practical Nurse Overview of Scope of Practice and Behaviors, prior to applying for the NCLEX®-PN examination.
- The course fee is paid to vendor and is separate from application submission.
- Access the course from the Continuing Education section of the website.
- Fees are not refundable.
- At completion of the course, a comprehensive exam must be passed with a score of 80 percent or higher.
- The course certificate is available for download following attainment of the required score.
- Upload the certificate of completion into your nurse portal account.
5. Pearson VUE Registration/NCLEX Information
- Complete registration for NCLEX with the testing vendor, Pearson VUE, before or at the same time you submit the State Application for Licensure.
- Note: As a PN Equivalency applicant, when registering with Pearson VUE, use the program code US39909900 NCLEX®-RN failures
- In order to assist in the processing of your application, please provide your social security number on the registration for Pearson VUE.
- Click here for additional information regarding Pearson VUE registration.
- Arkansas law requires applicants for licensure by examination to submit a State and Federal criminal background check. If an applicant has pleaded guilty, nolo contendere, or been found guilty of any offense listed in ACA §17-87-312, he/she is not eligible for Arkansas licensure. ACA §17-87-312 provides opportunity to request a waiver of eligibility criteria related to a criminal background in certain circumstances.
- Note: As a PN Equivalency applicant, if your criminal background checks conducted for ASBN are less than a year old, it is not necessary to complete another set of criminal background checks at this time. In the event that you must re submit your criminal background checks follow remaining instructions.
- All applicants must submit application for conduction of State and Federal Criminal Background Checks by following instructions located on the ASBN website www.arsbn.org and submitting your request by accessing the Criminal Background Checks System
- You must print the Criminal Background Check Instructions and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. THIS SYSTEM IS SEPARATE FROM APPLICATION SUBMISSION.
- State and Federal criminal background results must be received by the Board office prior to issuance of a license.
- Click here for Criminal Background Check Instructions.
- Click here for Criminal Background Checks System.