ARSBN - Competency Definitions
- Academic Course: A minimum of one (1) academic credit hour in nursing or related field.
- Active Status: Active license in good standing in Arkansas or any other recognized jurisdiction.
- Competency: The application of knowledge and the interpersonal, decision-making and psychomotor skills expected for the practice role, within the context of public health, safety and welfare.
- Contact Hour: Either a 50 or 60 minute clock hour of continuing education.
- Continuing Education: An educational activity completed beyond the basic education.
- Continuing Education Approval Body: A recognized authorizing body, approval or provider, responsible for offering quality continuing nursing education. This definition includes those non-nursing organizations whose continuing education offerings are relevant to nursing practice roles.
- Disciplinary Action: See ACA §17-87-309
- Employer Competency Orientation Program: An orientation program developed by a healthcare facility designed to assure competency of the nurse to practice safely within the employer’s job description and the scope of nursing defined by the ASBN.
- Initial Licensure: The point at which a licensee is first granted the authority to practice nursing in the State of Arkansas either by examination or endorsement.
- Inactive: A status of licensure which signifies that the individual has voluntarily chosen not to practice nursing or as a result of Board action.
- Non-Compliance: Failure to fulfill the continued competency requirements.
- Practice Focused: Academic study or continuing education targeted to meet the needs of the nurse in his/her nursing practice role, ie., administrator, educator, clinical practice, case manager, school nurse, etc.
- Random Audit: A sample of applications or documents randomly selected for compliance review.
- Refresher Course: See ASBN Rules & Regulations, Chapter Two.
- Related Field: Non-nursing discipline that enlarges or enhances the knowledge, skills and competencies of the nurses practice role.
Recommended by Continued Competency Task Force: August 1, 2001
Approved by Arkansas State Board of Nursing August 1, 2001