ASBN - RN Internationally Educated
This License Application is for applicants educated outside the United States, its' territories, or Canada who wish to apply for initial licensure by examination. It is NOT an application for renewal or endorsement of a license from another state.
The information contained herein is designed to assist you with the information you need to begin the application process. Read the instructions and provide all required documentation. Applicants must complete the application process for both the Arkansas State Board of Nursing (ASBN) and Pearson VUE to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX®). Additional instructions are located within the online system as you progress through the application process.
The following 1- 5 is required:
1. State Application for Licensure Information
- No application is complete until all required documentation and fees are received. Completed applications are valid for one year from the date of submission.
- If needed, NCLEX accommodations can be requested when completing the state application for licensure.
- A valid United States social security number is required for individuals applying for licensure.
Declaration of Primary State of Residence
- Declaration of your Primary State of Residence is made within the application.
- Definition of Primary State of Residence: The state (also known as the home state) in which a nurse declares a primary residence for legal purposes. Sources used to verify a nurse’s primary residence may include but is not limited to, a current:
- driver’s license with a home address;
- federal income tax return with a primary state of residence declaration;
- voter registration card with a home address;
- military form no. 2058 (state of legal residence certificate); or
- W2 form from the United States government or any bureau, division, or agency thereof, indicating residence.
- If your primary state of residence is a compact state, you must apply for licensure in your primary state of residence. If your primary state of residence is Arkansas or a non-compact state, you can apply for licensure in Arkansas.
- Click here for a list of compact states.
2. Fee Information
- Click here for current fees.
- The accepted method of payment is with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover).
- Verify that the charges are correct before submitting an application.
- ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- You will receive a payment receipt by email which should be printed as proof of payment.
3. Credentialing Agency Review Information
- Arkansas requires an original Credential Evaluation Service (CES) Full Education course-by-course report, with an English Language Proficiency report, sent directly from a Board-approved credentials verification agency.
- The Board accepts the CES from one of the following:
- The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) www.cgfns.org; Phone: 215-349-8767
- The Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants www.jsilny.org. Application link: https://www.jsilny.org/pdf/nursing.pdf. Phone: 305-273-1616.
- NOTE: The CES must be current with the credentialing agency.
- Proof of passing scores, submitted to the Board-approved credentialing agency, for an English Proficiency exam. You are exempt from this requirement if you graduated from a nursing program in Australia, Canada (except Quebec) Ireland, New Zealand, The United Kingdom, or the U.S.
- NOTE: The English scores submitted must be current with the credentialing agency. The Board accepts any one of the following:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 560 on the paper examination; 220 for the computerized examination; or, internet based test (iBT) score of 83 with a minimum speaking score of 26. www.toefl.org
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module with a score of 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in any one module. www.ielts.org
- The Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with a score of 55 overall with no subscores lower than 50 in each scored part.
4. Pearson VUE Registration/NCLEX Information
When you receive the letter of completion from verifying credentialing agency, you may register with Pearson VUE, the testing vendor, for the NCLEX RN.
- In order to assist in the processing of your application, please provide your social security number on the registration for Pearson VUE.
- Click here for additional information regarding Pearson VUE registration.
5. Criminal Background Check Information
- Arkansas law requires applicants for licensure to submit a State and Federal criminal background check. If an applicant has pleaded guilty, nolo contendere, or been found guilty of any offense listed in ACA §17-3-102, he/she is not eligible for Arkansas licensure. ACA §17-3-102 provides an opportunity to request a waiver of eligibility criteria related to a criminal background in certain circumstances.
- Note: As a PN Equivalency applicant, if your criminal background checks conducted for ASBN are less than a year old, it is not necessary to complete another set of criminal background checks at this time. In the event that you must re-submit your criminal background checks follow the remaining instructions.
- All applicants must submit an application for conduction of State and Federal Criminal Background Checks by following instructions located on the ASBN website www.arsbn.org and submitting your request by accessing the Criminal Background Checks System
- You must print the Criminal Background Check Instructions and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. THIS SYSTEM IS SEPARATE FROM APPLICATION SUBMISSION.
- State and Federal criminal background results must be received by the Board office prior to issuance of a license.
- Click here for Criminal Background Check Instructions.
- Click here for the Criminal Background Checks System.