ASBN - RN Internationally Educated Endorsement
This License Application is for applicants educated outside the United States who hold a license in another jurisdiction and is applying for licensure in Arkansas jurisdiction for the same license type.
It is NOT an application for renewal or examination.
The information contained herein is designed to assist you with information you need to begin the application process. Read the instructions and provide all required documentation. Additional instructions are located within the online system as you progress through the application process.
The following 1- 6 is required:
1. Application for Licensure by Endorsement Information
- No application is complete until all required documentation and fees are received. Completed applications are valid for one year from date of submission.
- A valid United States social security number is required for individuals applying for licensure.
Declaration of Primary State of Residence
- Declaration of your Primary State of Residence is made within the application.
- Definition of Primary State of Residence: The state (also known as the home state) in which a nurse declares a primary residence for legal purposes. Sources used to verify a nurse’s primary residence may include but is not limited to, a current:
- a) driver’s license with a home address;
- b) federal income tax return with a primary state of residence declaration;
- c) voter registration card with a home address;
- d) military form no. 2058 (state of legal residence certificate); or
- e) W2 form from the United States government or any bureau, division, or agency thereof, indicating residence.
- If your primary state of residence is a compact state and you hold an active multistate license in that state, you cannot be issued a license in Arkansas.
- Click here for a list of compact states.
2. Fee Information
- Click here for current fees.
- The accepted method of payment is with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover).
- Verify that the charges are correct before submitting application.
- ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- You will receive a payment receipt by email which should be printed as proof of payment.
3. Credentialing Agency Review Information
- Arkansas requires an original Credential Evaluation Service (CES) Full Education course-by-course report, with an English Language Proficiency report, sent directly from a Board-approved credentials verification agency.
- The Board accepts the CES from one of the following:
NOTE: The CES must be current with the credentialing agency.
- Proof of passing scores, submitted to the Board approved credentialing agency, for an English Proficiency exam.
- You are exempt from this requirement if you graduated from a nursing program in Australia, Canada (except Quebec) Ireland, New Zealand, The United Kingdom, or the U.S.
- NOTE: The English scores submitted must be current with the credentialing agency. The Board accepts any one of the following:
- a. the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 560 on the paper examination; 220 for the computerized examination; or, internet based test (iBT) score of 83 with a minimum speaking score of 26. www.toefl.org
- b. the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module with a score of 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in any one module. www.ielts.org
- c. the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with a score of 55 overall with no subscores lower than 50 in each scored part.
- d. the Occupational English Test (OET) with a score of C+ or above in each subtest and overall score of 300 or more on a single test. NOTE: At-home or remotely proctored tests are not accepted.
4. License Verification Information
- Verification of licensure from original state of licensure must be submitted to ASBN.
- If you were originally licensed in one of the states listed on the NURSYS website, www.nursys.com, you must obtain verification via submitting a verification request online through NURSYS. Access www.nursys.com to submit a verification request.
- If you were originally licensed in a state that is NOT listed on the NURSYS website, you must obtain verification via printing the ASBN Verification Form and mailing the form to the licensing agency in the state where you were originally licensed.
- Click here to download the License Verification form.
- Include your full name, current address and original license number so that your records can be readily located.
- The licensing agency will complete the ASBN Verification Form and return it directly to the ASBN office. Some states charge a fee for this service.
5. Verification of Employment Information
- In accordance with the Arkansas State Board of Nursing Rules, a nurse who is an applicant for licensure by endorsement who has not been engaged in the active practice of nursing for a period greater than five (5) years shall document completion of the following:
- a. Completion of an Arkansas board approved refresher course within one (1) year of the date of application; or
- b. Graduation from an approved nursing education program within one year of the date of application; and
- c. Provide other evidence as requested by the Board.
- Active Practice is defined as the act of performing for compensation those acts within specified scope of practice and authorized by the Board.
- Click here for Refresher Course Information.
6. Criminal Background Check Information
- Arkansas law requires applicants for licensure to submit a State and federal criminal background check. If an applicant has pleaded guilty, nolo contendere, or been found guilty of any offense listed in ACA §17-3-102, he/she is not eligible for Arkansas licensure. ACA §17-3-102 provides opportunity to request a waiver of eligibility criteria related to a criminal background in certain circumstances.
- All applicants must submit application for conduction of state and federal Criminal Background Checks by following instructions located on our website www.arsbn.org and submitting your request by accessing the Criminal Background Checks System.
- You must print the Criminal Background Check Instructions and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. THIS SYSTEM IS SEPARATE FROM APPLICATION SUBMISSION.
- State and Federal criminal background results must be received by the Board office prior to issuance of a license.
- Click here for Criminal Background Check Instructions.
- Click here for Criminal Background Checks and Fingerprint Card Request System.
7. Temporary Permit Information
- A temporary permit, which authorizes practice as a nurse in Arkansas while awaiting permanent licensure, may be requested for an additional fee.
- A one-time temporary permit may be issued to a qualified applicant who holds an unencumbered active license from another jurisdiction.
- Once issued, temporary permit status may be verified by accessing the website Nursys.com. Choose the second portal, Quick Confirm.