Child Health Advisory Committee
ACT 1220 of 2003 created the Child Health Advisory Committee to address childhood obesity and develop statewide nutrition and physical activity standards. The Committee meets monthly and will make policy recommendations to the State Board of Education and the State Board of Health.
Major tasks mandated by the Act include:
- Removing elementary school student in- school access to vending machines offering food and beverages.
- Developing recommendations to ensure that nutrition and physical activity standards are implemented to provide students with the skills, opportunities and encouragement to adopt healthy lifestyles.
- Requiring schools to include as part of the annual report to parents and the community the amounts and sources of funds received from competitive food and beverage contracts.
- Requiring schools to include as part of each student's health report to parents an annual body mass index (BMI) percentile.
- Requiring schools to annually provide parents an explanation of the possible health effects of body mass index, nutrition and physical activity.
The Arkansas Department of Health and the Arkansas Department of Education in partnership with the Arkansas Center for Health Improvement (ACHI) are developing a statewide plan to assist schools in the implementation and reporting of the Body Mass Index to parents.
Meeting Dates & Times
Guide for Schools, Parents, and Communities
This guide provides information and guidance in developing a local school Nutrition and Physical Activity Advisory Committee. Included is a membership grid, sample invitation letter and sample agenda. Names and contact information of local resources who can assist in developing the local committees are included. State and National resource links are also listed in the guide. These resources provide information on obesity, nutrition, physical activity, and children's health.
|ACT 1220 of 2003|
|ACT 719 of 2007|
|BMI Toolkit for Nurses|
|CHAC Committee Members' and Staff Contact Information|
|Maximum Portion Size List|
|Wellness Workbook 2017|