ASBN - Criminal Background Checks
Arkansas law requires applicants for initial licensure to submit a state and federal criminal background check. If an applicant has pleaded guilty, nolo contendere to, or been found guilty of any offense listed in ACA §17-3-102, he/she is not eligible for Arkansas licensure. ACA §17-3-102 provides opportunity to request a waiver of eligibility criteria related to a criminal background in certain circumstances.
All applicants must submit application for conduction of state and federal Criminal Background Checks by following instructions located here and submitting your request by accessing the Criminal Background Checks System.
- Criminal Background Frequently Asked Questions
- Criminal Background Information
- Arkansas Live Scan Fingerprint Scanning (flyer)
- Arkansas Nurse Practice Act Sub Chapter 3 Excerpt: Criminal Background Checks - A.C.A. § 17-87-312
- Arkansas Code Annotated Title 17 Professions, Occupations, and Businesses; Subtitle 1. Professions Generally; Chapter 3 Occupational Criminal Background Checks Excerpt: Licensing Restrictions Based on Criminal Records - A.C.A. § 17-3-102
Criminal Background Check System
READ ALL INFORMATION AND CHOOSE FINGERPRINT METHOD BELOW
A state and federal criminal background check is required if they are not already on file with Arkansas State Board of Nursing (ASBN) within the last 12 months of application. Background checks from other agencies are not accepted.
Fees associated with conduction of the state and federal criminal background checks are at the applicant’s expense and are paid within this online system. A fee of $36.25, in addition to a processing fee, is required to process the state and federal criminal background checks. After submission of your request, you will receive two automatically generated email notifications, an Arkansas GovPay receipt and Request Acknowledgement. These emails will be sent to the email address that you provide.
FEES ARE NONREFUNDABLE
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, CONTACT THE ARKANSAS STATE POLICE OR THE FBI ABOUT THE STATUS OF YOUR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS.
Arkansas State Police Criminal Background Check
The State Criminal Background Check information is obtained within this system; no additional form is completed or submitted to Arkansas State Board of Nursing or the Arkansas State Police.
Federal Criminal Background Check
The Federal Criminal Background Check requires that your fingerprints are used to check the criminal history records of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Fingerprint information is obtained in one of two ways, EITHER by 1) Arkansas Live Scan fingerprint scanning or 2) Ink based fingerprint card. Refer to the respective instructions contained herein.
Note: Out of state Endorsement applicants will need to either come to Arkansas to have Federal fingerprints live scanned or request the Ink based fingerprint card method.
Arkansas Live Scan Fingerprint Scanning:
Arkansas Live Scan is the ONLY vendor approved to conduct digital scanning of fingerprints for Arkansas State Board of Nursing. Obtaining fingerprints via Arkansas Live Scan is a wonderful option with significant benefits. Click here for the Arkansas Live Scan Fingerprint Scanning flyer which includes locations and contact information.
Benefits of Live Scan include:
- Considerably faster return of results - typically within a week as compared to 4-6 weeks or longer with ink based finger printing;
- High quality fingerprints ensure accuracy and minimize mistakes; and
- Efficient images with no messy ink process; no fingerprint card is required
There is an additional $15.00 fee that each applicant pays to Arkansas Live Scan when having a live scan conducted.
- Click here for the Arkansas Live Scan Fingerprint Scanning flyer which includes locations and contact information.
- Click here to download instructions for Arkansas Live Scan fingerprinting scanning.
Ink based Fingerprint Card:
To have your fingerprints obtained via the ink based option you MUST use the fingerprint card provided by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing. The fingerprint card will be mailed to you for completion and submission for the federal criminal background check. Arkansas State Board of Nursing typically receives results in 4 – 6 weeks; at times it may be longer.
When you request a fingerprint card through this system, it will be mailed to the address you provide. You must use the fingerprint card provided by ASBN. Refer to the instructions for directions on how to complete and mail the fingerprint card.
Click here to download instructions for obtaining, completing and submitting an ink based fingerprint card.
REQUEST CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS (CBCs) & DETERMINE FINGERPRINT COLLECTION METHOD
CHOOSE ONE METHOD
- Request conduction of federal CBC by LIVE SCAN
- Request conduction of federal CBC by INK BASE FINGERPRINTS (fingerprint card)
Click RESEND CONFIRMATION EMAIL if you need your email notification information and are not able to locate it in your email.