ASBN - Diabetic Educator
In compliance with the Diabetic Self Management Act of 1997 (ACA§23-79-601 et seq.) the Arkansas State Board of Nursing developed a process to certify RNs who provide education in the management of Diabetes. This certification allows for insurance reimbursement for the education.
Diabetic Educator Guidelines
To be certified by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing (ASBN) as a Diabetes Self-Management Educator, the applicant must:
- Hold an active Arkansas license as a registered nurse.
- Hold current certification as a Certified Diabetic Educator (CDE) by the American Diabetes Association; or
- Have successfully completed a diabetes educational program, approved by the ASBN, which complies with the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs as developed by the American Diabetes Association.
- Submit completed notarized Initial Certification for Diabetes Self-Management Educator Application, along with a non-refundable fee of $25.00.
- Submit notarized documentation from the ASBN approved education program coordinator and preceptor that applicant has successfully completed both didactic and practicum sessions; or
- Submit proof of current certification as a CDE by the American Diabetes Association.
See ASBN Rules and Regulations for information regarding renewal. Please contact the Director of Nursing Education, if you have questions.