ASBN - Adv. Practice
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) are registered nurses who have been educated beyond the requirements for a registered nurse in one of the four roles of advanced practice nurses – Certified Nurse Practitioner (CNP), Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) and Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM).
If your certification expires and it is not your regular time to renew your license, DO NOT submit another renewal application. Instead, if your certification lapses DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR RENEWAL (you WILL NOT receive a refund) and follow the instructions below:
- In your portal select “profile”
- Select “Certifications” and upload your renewed certification
- Send a message in the Message Center to notify Ellen Harwell, APRN Licensing Coordinator, that you submitted your current certification.
|Licensure Applications for APRN|
|Advanced Practice Application - Initial|
|Advanced Practice Application - Endorsement|
|Verify Hours of RN Practice (effective July 1, 2019)|
|Advanced Practice Licensure Verification Form for Endorsement Applicants|
|Verification of National Certification|
|Verify Hours of APRN Practice|
|Prescriptive Authority Applications for APRNs
(Prescriptive Authority is not automatically provided with an Arkansas APRN License)
|Prescriptive Authority Application - Initial|
|Prescriptive Authority Application - Endorsement|
|Verify Hours of Prescribing|
|Prescriptive Authority Verification Form for Endorsement Applicants|
Collaborative Practice Agreement - Use the example below.
*Remember this is not a business contract.
Review the laws for APRN Prescribing prior to submitting a Collaborative Practice Agreement.
- Act 529: Amend prescriptive authority of APRNs to hydrocodone combination products
- Act 593: Amend prescriptive authority of an APRN
- Collaborative Practice Agreement Instructions
- Collaborative Practice Agreement - Word
- Drug Addiction Treatment Act (DATA) of 2000
- CPA - DATA 2000 Waiver Example - Single Physician
- Form to Terminate a Collaborative Practice Agreement (use this form if you need to terminate your current Collaborative Practice Agreement and submit an updated agreement)
- Quality Assurance Instructions for APRNs
- Quality Assurance Plan (Example #1)
- Quality Assurance Plan (Example #2)
- Decision Making Model - PDF
- ASBN Rules - Chapter 4 - Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- ASBN Rules - Chapter 5 - Delegation
Prescriptive Protocols (You are welcome to use one of the examples below making changes as needed)
- Prescriptive Protocol Instructions for APRN
- Prescriptive Protocol (Example #1)
- Prescriptive Protocol (Example #2)
Prescriptive Authority: DEA Registration Instructions
An advanced practice registered nurse with prescriptive authority must obtain a DEA registration number to prescribe controlled substances (schedule III,IV &V only).
A. APRNs holding a certificate of prescriptive authority may contact the New Orleans office of the DEA to receive an application for a DEA registration number. Do not apply for the DEA registration prior to being issued Prescriptive Authority. The toll-free phone numbers are: 888/514-7302 or 888/514-8051. The DEA now has forms on-line for registration of advanced practice nurses. The application form can be found on the web at the Diversion Control Program web site: www.DEAdiversion.usdoj.gov. At the website, select “ New Registration Applications." The form is available in PDF format. It is necessary to have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the form. There are two versions of the form available:
(1) An on-line form. This version allows the user to complete the form on-line and submit. It is much quicker. The form can then be signed and mailed to the DEA. You must have a credit card to pay the fee.
(2) A paper form can be requested. Call the above number and request form to be mailed to you.
Common questions concerned controlled substance applications are answered in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of the website, or applicants can contact the Registration Call Center at 800-882-9539.
B. When completing the DEA registration application you should:
Enter your advanced practice license number (not your certificate of prescriptive authority number). You do not have a state-controlled substance number.
Indicate that you may prescribe, administer, dispense or procure schedule III, IV and V narcotic and non-narcotic substances.
C. The ASBN Rules require that you send a copy of your DEA number for your file.
Please send the copy via the Arkansas Nurse Portal message center; choose prescriptive authority.
The Pharmacy Services of the Arkansas Department of Health is responsible for enforcing the Controlled Substances Act. A copy of the Rules and Regulations Pertaining to Controlled Substances and the List of Controlled Substances for the State of Arkansas may be obtained by phone, (501) 661-2325, or mail:
Arkansas Dept. of Health Pharmacy Services
4815 West Markham, Slot 25
Little Rock, AR 72205
Prescriptive authority may be terminated by the Board of Nursing for failure to maintain current active APRN licensure or violation of any state or federal law or regulation applicable to prescriptions.
If you have any questions, please contact us. Pharmacists may contact us to verify prescriptive authority or for any other information related to the new law and regulations.
- Mandatory Arkansas Prescription Monitoring Program(AR PMP) Registration
- Process for Verification of DEA registration for HCP Product Prescribing
- Prescription Drug Monitoring Program - PDF
Advanced Practice Continuing Education Mandatory
In an effort to help curtail the national epidemic of opioid abuse, new prescribing guidelines have been enacted for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) in Arkansas.
Act 1208 of A.C.A. §20-7-704 specifically states that all APRNs issued a certificate of prescriptive authority after December 31, 2015, shall obtain a minimum of three (3) hours of prescribing education which includes information on maintaining professional boundaries and the prescribing rules, regulations and laws that apply to APRNs in the state within two (2) years of issuance of the prescriptive authority certificate (ASBN Rules, Chapter 4, Section VIII, A.7.). In order to meet this requirement, you will need to complete two courses, Advanced Practice Nursing in Arkansas (2 contact hours) and Prescription Drug Misuse and Abuse (1 contact hour).
APRNs with prescriptive authority shall complete five (5) contact hours of pharmacotherapeutics continuing education in the APRN’s area of certification each biennium prior to license renewal. Effective January 1, 2017, two (2) of the prescribing hours must contain information related to maintaining professional boundaries and the prescribing rules, regulations and laws that apply to APRNs in Arkansas (ASBN Rules, Chapter 4, Section III,F.7.). In order to meet this requirement you will need to complete the course Advanced Practice Nursing in Arkansas (2 contact hours). This is to be completed prior to renewal of your license.
In order to help APRNs meet these requirements, continuing education courses have been prepared. After review of each course a post-test is to be completed with a mandatory score of 70 percent or better. Once completed, a certificate will be available for download. Please note that this requirement has not been satisfied until you are in possession of the certificate of completion.
The Arkansas State Board of Nursing partners with Table Mesa online hosting platform. The mandatory courses are located on the Table Mesa platform. You will need to register for your FREE Table Mesa account in order to access the courses and tests.
As you set up your Table Mesa account, please keep the following items in mind:
- You will need to enter Advanced Practice Registered Nurse as your profession
- Enter Arkansas State Board of Nursing in the Search for courses or providers field
- Enter your APRN license number. You will also need to know your original license issue date and expiration date. You may locate the information at www.nursys.com
- Access the Table Mesa instruction flyer below
Instructions to register for FREE Table Mesa account: Table Mesa Instructions
Direct Link to Table Mesa (follow registration instructions above): https://www.mytablemesa.com/account/registermain
For assistance with Table Mesa, e-mail email@example.com