Healthy Communities

Cosmetology Frequently Asked Questions


Q. I need to renew my license, how can I do that?

You can renew your license online or mail your renewal and the correct fee to our office. You may also visit our office during normal business hours.

Q. What is your mailing address?

4815 West Markham, Slot 8
Little Rock, AR  72205

Q. Where are you located?

We are located at 4815 West Markham in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Q. I renewed my license online weeks ago but have not received it yet. What should I do?

If you do not receive your license within 10 to 14 days, please contact us at or at 501-682-2168.

Q. My license has expired. How long do I have to renew my license?

You may renew your license up to five years after it expires. 

Remember, you may not work with an expired license. If you work with an expired license, you may receive a violation by the Cosmetology Inspector.

If your license has been expired for more than five years, you must apply for a Lapsed License.

Q. I lost my license, how do I obtain another one?

You can obtain a duplicate license by completing the Duplicate License Request Form and submitting the fee of $10.00 to our office along with a copy of your Driver’s License.

Q. How do I transfer my out-of-state license to Arkansas (reciprocity)?

Please see the Reciprocity Requirements for Transferring a License for a list of requirements and the application form.

Q. Can a license from a Foreign Country be transferred through reciprocity?


Q. If myself or my spouse are active military can I transfer a license to Arkansas by Reciprocity?

Yes. You will need to complete the Reciprocity Requirements for Military.

Q. I'm moving out of state. How do I transfer my license?

Please contact the state which you are moving to for that state’s requirements. Additionally, you will need to complete a Certification of Record application, online. The fee is $10.00. 

Q. I want to open a New Establishment, what do I need to do?

You will need to complete the Online Salon Application which can be found here. The fee is $100.00. Once this has been submitted online, you will receive a letter of authorization via the email address you provided. You may open your establishment with this letter until you receive your license in the mail. You will not receive a license until you have been inspected and approved by the Cosmetology Inspector, however you may open with the letter of authorization.

Q. I already own a salon, but I am moving to another location. What do I need to do?

To change the location of your establishment, you will be required to submit an Establishment Relocation Application and pay the required fee.

Q. I sold my salon to someone else. What do we need to do?

The new owner will need to complete an Establishment Change of Status application and pay the required fee.

Q. How do I file a complaint?

A complaint must be in written form either mailed or you can email the complaint to

Q. How do I obtain a copy of a complaint that was filed on me?

Under the FOIA you may request a copy of your complaint in writing. The request will be forwarded to our attorney and he will decide what information can be released.  Usually, names, phone numbers and email addresses are extracted before the complaint is sent to you.

Q. What are the requirements to open a New School?

You can find the requirements online in our New School Application Packet.

Q. How Do I Change My Address on My License?

The Cosmetology Section requires that all changes in status of a licensee (e.g. change in address, P.O. Box number, phone number or email address) must be provided to the Section's office as soon as possible following the change in status. Notification is required since the change in status may affect a licensee's ability to receive official correspondence from the Section.

In the case of a change of address you may notify the Section by phone, fax, email or regular mail at the addresses and numbers listed below. If you own a salon and you plan to relocate your salon then you must complete an Establishment Relocation application. The application form and the required fee must be submitted to the Section's office before you may open your salon at the new location.






4815 W. Markham St., Slot 8
Little Rock, AR 72205



Q. Does an individual need a license to apply eyelash extensions for pay?

Yes, an individual would need a license to apply eyelash extensions for pay. Specifically, the individual should be a licensed cosmetologist, aesthetician or Barber.

Q: May a cosmetologist or aesthetician provide laser services?

Yes, an individual licensed as a cosmetologist or aesthetician may provide laser services with a Class 1 or Class 2 device only, no other class of laser can be used by cosmetologist or aestheticians when practicing in a Cosmetology establishment.

See Rules and Regulation 11(2)(b)

Q: Can a Cosmetologist or aesthetician perform microblading services?

No, Cosmetologist and Aestheticians cannot perform microblading service. To perform microblading services you must be licensed by the Environmental Health- Body Art Program.  

Q: Can cosmetologist or aestheticians perform Microneedling services?

Yes, Cosmetologist and aestheticians can perform microneedling services if the service does not penetrate or pierce the skin beyond the epidermis.  

Q. Does an individual need a license to apply eyelash extensions for pay?

Yes, an individual would need a license to apply eyelash extensions for pay. Specifically, the individual should be a licensed cosmetologist or aesthetician.

 Examination Questions

Q. How do I apply for the practical and written examination?

You can contact an Arkansas Cosmetology School to apply for the practical examination. You will need to complete an examination application for the written examination.

Q. What materials are available to study for the written exam?

The Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) for each examination is available here.

Q. I have passed both the written and the practical exam, how do I get my license? 

The Cosmetology Section will mail your license to you within 7-10 days of receipt of your passing score(s).

Q. How will I know if I am eligible to test for the written examination?

A letter will be emailed and mailed to you with information on how to contact PSI. Once you receive this, you may contact PSI to schedule your written examination. 

Q. How can I contact PSI to schedule my exam?

You can contact PSI at 1-855-746-8173.

Q. My name does not match my Government ID. Can I still take the exam?

No. If your name has changed you must notify the Cosmetology Section.

All forms can be found here

Public Health Accrediation Board
Arkansas Department of Health
© 2017 Arkansas Department of Health. All Rights Reserved.
4815 W. Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205-3867