Healthy Communities

Medical Marijuana FAQ’s

Arkansas Medical Marijuana logo




General questions:

Q. Where are the dispensaries located?

The Arkansas Department of Health does not have dispensary information. Click here for the dispensary information.

Q. Where can I read the Medical Marijuana Amendment?

Click here.

Q. What information and forms are required when a patient applies for a Medical Marijuana ID card? 

The following are required when submitting your application:

Q. How long is my ID card valid?

Your registry identification card from the Arkansas Department of Health will be valid for one year from the date it is issued OR the amount of time designated by the physician.

Q. When can I renew my ID card?

We recommend renewing your card no less than 30 days prior to the expiration date.

Q. What is required for renewal?

If applying online you will need an updated Physician Written Certification, most recent copy of your Arkansas driver’s license or identification card and credit/debit card.

If applying through the mail you will need a Patient Registry Application, updated Physician Written Certification, most recent copy of your Arkansas driver’s license or identification card and a check/money order for $50 for patient applications and $87 for caregiver applications.

Q. How long will it take for my renewal to be approved once I submit it?

It may take up to 14 days to process your renewal.

Q. I live in another state and have one of the eligible debilitating medical conditions. Can I apply?

You may apply as a visiting patient. Click here and apply using the Visiting Patient application form.

You will need your home state medical marijuana card or equivalent.

A visiting patient application is $50.00 (non-refundable). If approved a visiting patient may purchase medical marijuana in Arkansas for a 90-day period, per application.

Dispensary information can be found here.

Q. Is my confidentiality protected when I apply and if I am approved for the use of medical marijuana?

Yes. The following information received and records kept by the Arkansas Department Health Medical Marijuana Section are subject to all applicable federal privacy laws, are confidential, are exempt from the Freedom of Information Act and are not subject to disclosure to any individual or public or private entity, except as necessary for authorized employees of the department to perform official duties for the medical marijuana program. Law enforcement will have the ability to confirm  only the validity of an ID card.

Q. Can I use medical marijuana anywhere in Arkansas?

No. Using medical cannabis is prohibited in a school bus, on the grounds of any preschool or primary or secondary school, in any correctional facility, in any motor vehicle, in a private residence used at any time to provide licensed child care or other similar social service care on the premises and in any public place where an individual could reasonably be expected to be observed by others. A public place includes all parts of buildings owned in a whole or in part, or leased, by the state or local unit of government. A public place does not include a private residence unless the private residence is used to provide licensed child care, foster care or other similar social service care on the premises. Using medical marijuana is also prohibited in a health care facility or any other place where smoking is prohibited by the Clean Indoor Air Act of 2006 and knowingly in close physical proximity to anyone under the age of 18.

Q. Are registry identification cards from other state medical marijuana programs valid in Arkansas?

A visiting qualifying patient may obtain marijuana from a dispensary with approval as a visiting patient.

Complete the visiting patient application here.

A visiting patient application is $50.00 (non-refundable). If approved, a visiting patient may purchase medical marijuana in Arkansas for a 90-day period, per application.

Q. May I obtain a  qualified patient or designated caregiver registry ID card if I am a member of Arkansas National Guard or Unites States military?

Legislation passed in 2017 prohibits members of Arkansas National Guard and United States military from obtaining a qualified patient or designated caregiver registry ID card.

Q. How long does it take to process my application?

Processing time is 10 to 14 days

Q. Will I be given a temporary card while my application is being processed?

The Arkansas Department of Health does not issue temporary medical marijuana cards.


ID Card questions:

Q. If my registry identification card is lost, stolen or damaged what do I do and is there a fee to replace the card?

If the application was submitted online, you may print you own card or reprint your own card using your AMMsys account. Each reprint voids the prior card validity.

Or if applied by mail, please complete the CHANGE OF ADDRESS/LOST CARD form. Submit the form to us and a replacement card will be issued. There may be a delay in receiving a replacement card as replacement cards will be processed after all new applicants have been processed  and issued cards. 

Q. I received my registry identification card, but my name is misspelled (or has other incorrect information).  What do I do?

If the application was completed online you may complete the change form and submit.

If you completed a paper application, complete the change form and mail to the office.

A corrected replacement card will be sent as soon as possible. Once a replacement card is issued, the prior card is no longer valid.

Q. If my registry identification card expired and I didn’t submit my renewal application before the deadline, am I still eligible to purchase medical marijuana?

No. When your card expires, the legal protection offered by the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Act is expired. You may still submit your renewal application.

Q. Will my card be emailed/mailed to me automatically?

A physical card will be mailed automatically to you once your application has been approved. Cards will not be sent over email. If you applied online, you can log on to the Arkansas Medical Marijuana System and print a copy of your card.


Questions about Medical Conditions:

Q. What are the qualifying conditions?

Q. Can other medical conditions be added to the list?

Patients suffering from medical conditions may petition the department for consideration of an illness. After a hearing, the department shall approve or deny a petition within one hundred (120) days of submission of the petition. Click here for petition information.

Q. I have one of the debilitating medical conditions, am I automatically a qualified patient?

An official physician written certification must be obtained from a medical physician and submitted with the application.


Questions about Physicians:

Q. Which medical physicians can certify me for medical marijuana?

The medical provider must be a doctor of medicine or osteopathy licensed in the state of Arkansas, have a controlled substances license on file with the DEA, be in good standing to practice medicine in Arkansas, and have a bona fide physician-patient relationship with the patient they are certifying for medical cannabis.

Q. Is there a list of doctors in my area that can give me a Medical Marijuana certification?

The department does not maintain a physician list. Patients will be responsible for locating their own physician.

Q. Are physicians required to complete the written certification form if I have a qualifying debilitating medical condition?

No, a physician is not mandated to provide a patient with a certification.

Q. When does the physician certification expire?

The physician certification is valid for 30 days. If a patient gets a certification and fails to submit it to the ADH within 30 days, they must get a new certification.


Dispensary questions:

Q. Do I have to buy my marijuana from one of the dispensaries?

Yes. To be protected under the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Act, your marijuana must be labeled from one of the Arkansas dispensaries.

Q. Can I grow my own medical marijuana?

No. Qualifying registered patients and their designated caregivers cannot grow or cultivate medical marijuana. Marijuana-infused products must be purchased through the Arkansas medical marijuana dispensaries.

Q. How much medical marijuana may I possess as a qualified registered patient?

Qualified registered patients are allowed to purchase up to 2.5 ounces from a dispensary every 14 days.

Q. Will my insurance or Medicaid pay for my marijuana?

Please contact your insurance provider or Medicaid official for an answer.

Q. How do I become a cultivator of dispenser?

Please contact the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Commission for information about licensure for cultivation. Please contact the Arkansas Beverage Control Agency for information about dispensary licensure. Questions about cultivation and dispensing requirements should be directed to the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration--click here.


Designated Caregiver questions:

Q. What is a designated caregiver?

A designated caregiver is a person who is selected by a qualifying patient as the person authorized, on the qualifying patient’s behalf, to possess, obtain from a certified medical marijuana dispensary, dispense and assist in the administration of medical marijuana. Caregivers must apply for a registry card. A designated caregiver is issued a medical marijuana registry identification card that allows him/her to possess up to 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana on behalf of their patient. It is not legal for caregivers to consume, by any means, medical marijuana that has been dispensed on behalf of a registered qualifying patient.

Q. How do I apply to be a designated caregiver?

Complete the designated caregiver application here.

Q. Do I need a caregiver card to purchase MMJ for my child?

Yes. Qualified patients under 18 years of age cannot purchase medical marijuana from a dispensary. The legal guardian or parent is required to register as a caregiver to buy medical marijuana for a minor.

Q. Can a caregiver have more than one patient?

Yes. A caregiver may serve more than one patient. A caregiver must apply for a registry card for each patient and pay $50 for each registry card.

Q. Can a caregiver also be a registered qualifying patient?

Yes. A caregiver may be a registered qualifying patient.


Office Address Phone
Arkansas Department of Health
Medical Marijuana Section
4815 W. Markham St., Slot 50
Little Rock, AR 72205
Toll Free 1-833-214-8619

Public Health Accrediation Board
Arkansas Department of Health
© 2017 Arkansas Department of Health. All Rights Reserved.
4815 W. Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205-3867