Take Care of Your Teeth
Good oral health is an essential and integral component of overall health. Our work in dental public health focuses on improving oral health for all Arkansans by expanding access, implementing effective prevention programs, and reducing disparities.
Oral diseases vary widely from cavities to gum disease to oral cancer. These problems can lead to speech difficulties, eating discomfort, and disability. Mounting evidence also suggests a link between oral health and other chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, and pre-term and/or low birth weight babies.
Luckily, dental decay and periodontal diseases are both preventable. A healthy smile can last a life time when healthy habits are established, such as brushing, flossing, smart food choices, and regular dental visits. The American Dental Association has an interactive website called Mouth Healthy that provides answers to frequently asked questions.
Office of Oral Health Mission
To promote life-long, optimum oral health for all Arkansans through primary prevention, education, accessible and culturally competent community-based oral health care, and informed policy development.
The ADH Office of Oral Health has developed a number of new statewide dental initiatives through various partnerships. Read our latest Arkansas Oral Health Surveillance Plan, which outlines our initiatives to promote oral health in Arkansas.
You can also subscribe to our quarterly newsletter to stay up to date on the Office of Oral Health’s activities.
Many Arkansans have limited access to routine preventive care, which can lead to untreated decay. In 2011, Arkansas passed important legislation to combat this issue.
- Act 89: Dental Hygiene Collaborative Care
- To participate in Dental Hygiene Collaborative Care, you must fill out an ADH Office of Oral Health Application and an Arkansas State Board of Dental Examiners permit application.
- Act 90: Fluoride Varnish Provider Expansion
- Allows medical personnel to deliver and bill for fluoride varnish services for Arkansas children after proper training.
- To start applying fluoride varnish in your office, please contact us HERE to schedule the required fluoride varnish training.
- We offer free, on-site training to medical providers interested in providing this service. After completion of an in-person training, the office of oral health will provide a starter pack of varnish.
Oral Health Resources
Dental Sealants (Super Tooth brochure)
Dental Sealants (Sealant flyer)
Fluoridation Facts (ADA booklet with FAQ concerning water fluoridation)
Fluoridation Fact Sheet (Office of Oral Health fact sheet)
Cavity Prevention Trifold | English | Spanish
Cavity Prevention Flyer | English | Spanish
4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 18