> Overview

Frequently Asked Questions 

Q: How do I test my home for radon?

Answer: The Environmental Protection Agency gives recommendations regarding the testing of your home.  EPA’s publication “A Citizen’s Guide to Radon:  The Guide to Protecting Yourself and Your Family From Radon” also provides valuable information. 

Some ways to acquire a test kit are from a merchant on-line, from a local home improvement store, or through the National Radon Program Services at Kansas State University.  NRPS is funded by the Environmental Protection Agency under a cooperative agreement.

There are two non-federal (privately run), national radon certification programs who certify individuals/companies in radon measurement, radon mitigation, and the analyzing of radon in laboratories, provided certain requirements are met. See the  National Radon Proficiency Program and the National Radon Safety Board websites for more information.  The Arkansas Department of Health does not certify, license, or register individuals to perform radon testing or radon mitigation.

"Indoor Radon and Radon Decay Product Measurement Device Protocols” (EPA document #402-R-92-004) and “Protocols for Radon and Radon Decay Product Measurements in Homes” (EPA document #402-R-92-003) are standards regarding the measurement of radon in homes. These standards are available under “Technical Resources for Radon Professionals” on the EPA’s radon publication page.

Q: If I decide to mitigate my home, whom should I get to perform the work?  Do I need to retest after the work is completed?

Answer: The Environmental Protection Agency’s “Consumer’s Guide to Radon Reduction:  How to Fix Your Home” recommends getting estimates and references as with any other home repairs.  The EPA recommends that you use a certified or qualified radon mitigation contractor trained to fix radon problems. 

“Standard Practice for Radon Mitigation Systems in Existing Low-Rise Residential Buildings,” ASTM E2121-12, is meant for professionals and can be purchased from ASTM International or from the American National Standards Institute.

Once the mitigation work is completed, radon testing should be conducted again.

Note: The Arkansas Department of Health does not endorse any particular radon mitigator.  

Q:  I’m in the process of buying a home.  What should I know about radon testing?

Answer: See EPA publication “Home Buyer’s and Seller’s Guide to Radon”.

Q: How do I build a “radon-resistant” home?  Would my home still need to be tested once built?

Answer: See the Environmental Protection Agency’s Radon Resistant New Construction (RRNC) webpage.

For more explanation of radon-resistant construction techniques, refer to EPA publication “Building Radon Out: A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Build Radon-Resistant Homes”. 

Every new home should be tested after occupancy, even if it was built radon-resistant.

Q: How do I get more information about radon?

Answer: Various publications regarding radon can be found at www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/index.html.

The Conference for Radiation Control Program Directors  and the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists, Inc. have partnered with the Environmental Protection Agency in the Radon Leaders Saving Lives Campaign.  See these sites for additional information.

Also, the EPA offers Frequent Questions on radon at http://iaq.supportportal.com/link/portal/23002/23007/ArticleFolder/976/Radon

Q:  I am a general contractor and would like information on training courses available for the measurement and mitigation of radon.  Where can I find information about this?

Answer:  Information regarding on-line and in-person training courses is provided by our region’s Training Center Partner, Kansas State University. This site lists all of the Regional Radon Training Center activities.

Training information may also be found on the websites of the two national certification programs that certify professionals to perform measurement and/or mitigation of radon. The programs are the National Radon Proficiency Program and the National Radon Safety Board.

The Arkansas Department of Health does not certify, license, or register individuals to perform radon testing or radon mitigation.