Radiologic Technology Licensure Program 

RTL: RTL Home | Frequently Asked Questions | Licensing Information | Forms | Continuing Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I become licensed to perform (routine skeletal procedures) x-rays?

Answer: If you are NOT a Registered Radiologic Technologist, in good standing with ARRT, you are required to become a Temporary Licensee.

Q: What is a Temporary Licensee?

Answer: Temporary Licensee is an individual training on-the-job under the supervision of a Licensed Practitioner and preparing to take the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination. This license type is also issued to individuals who have recently graduated from an accredited Radiologic Technology, Nuclear Medicine or Radiation Therapy Program and have met eligibility criteria to take the ARRT national registry or NMTCB certification examinations.

Q: When does a Temporary License expire?

Answer: Temporary License is valid for six months. If you do not pass the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination or your ARRT Registry or NMTCB Certification Examination during that six-month period, you may renew your Temporary License for another six months. The renewal fee is the same as the initial Temporary License fee. $45.00 for one category, and $65.00 for testing in more than one category. After an individual has passed The Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination, ARRT Registry or NMTCB Certification Examination, your Temporary License fee, if not already expired, will be transferred to your license fee following successful completion of your examination. 

Q: Where will I go to take the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination?

Answer: Once you have mailed in your completed LSE application and fee of $125.00 to take the Limited Scope of Practice in Radiography Examination in the Core module and in the chest, extremity, skull/sinus, spine and/or podiatry modules, you will receive an Examination Handbook for State Licensing Exams administered by ARRT. This Examination Handbook will give you step by step instructions for scheduling your exam appointment within the 90-day window in which you are assigned. Your Candidate Status Report that will be included in your Examination Handbook. You must confirm when scheduling your exam, which Pearson VUE testing center in which you would like to make your appointment to test. The Person VUE testing centers in the State of Arkansas are located in Little Rock, Fort Smith and Texarkana. You must ask for directions to those individual testing centers when scheduling your examination, if you do not know their locations.


Q: What is a Limited License?

Answer: Limited License is the license you acquire by passing The Limited Scope Examination in either chest, extremity, skull/sinus, spine and/or podiatry. These individuals are only allowed to perform radiographic exams in the categories they have passed in the Limited Scope Examination. These individuals are NOT allowed to perform fluoroscopy or contrast media studies.

Q: What is a Radiologic Technologist License?

Answer: Radiologic Technologist License is a license for individuals who have graduated from an accredited Radiologic Technology School and passed the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) Radiography national registry examination. These individuals are authorized to perform all types of radiography studies, including Computed Tomography, Mammography, Special Procedures and Bone Densitometry.

Q: What is a Licensed Technologist License?

Answer: This license category was issued to individuals who have been trained on-the-job and were licensed under the 'Grandfather' provision. This License is no longer issued.

Q: What other license types do you have?

Answer: Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Therapy. A description of these License types can be found on the RTL Website Licensing Information Page.

Q: Who can perform fluoroscopic procedures?

Answer: Any individual who performs fluoroscopic procedures is required to either hold a Licensed Technologists License or hold a Radiologic Technologist License. After July 30, 2000 any individual who is not a registered Radiologic Technologist may only apply for a Limited License. A Limited Licensee is NOT authorized to perform fluoroscopic or contrast media studies.

Q: I am having trouble reaching your staff? The phone is always busy. Why?

Answer: We are receiving anywhere from 50 to 150 calls per day. If you reach voice-mail, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.

Q: How many continuing education credits do I need to renew my License?

Answer: All licensees are required to earn six hours of continuing education credit per year in order to renew their license. The six hours of continuing education credits are to have been acquired within the year preceding the date of renewal. Registered radiographers must present a current registry card and present six hours CEU that have been earned during their current ARRT biennium.

Q: How much is the Licensure fee?

Answer: The Licensure fee for one modality or category is $45.00. The license fee for more than one modality or category is $65.00.

Q: May my licensure fee be paid by credit card?

Answer: You may only pay renewal fees on-line. You must have your renewal ID number and your verification code that is printed on your individual renewal invoice. You must immediately fax your License Renewal Information Sheet, proof of continuing education, and a copy of your ARRT, NMTCB, or RCIS credentialing card (if applicable) to: (501) 661-2236. Applications may not be paid on-line.

Q: How much does it cost to take The Limited Scope Examination?

Answer: The fee to take The Limited Scope Examination is $125.00. The examination fee will be charged each time the examination is taken.

Q: Is the State going to provide any more CE seminars?

Answer: The RTL Program will not be providing CE seminars at this time. We provided a Limited Scope Preparation seminar the first year of licensure to assist those not familiar with the CE process, and to assist those preparing for The Limited Scope Examination. CE's are the license holder's responsibility. Our office will be glad to share with you any CE opportunities that we are aware of in our State.

Q: Can you tell me more about continuing education requirements?

Answer: Yes! Please look at the RTL Website Continuing Education Page.