Frequently Asked Questions 

FAQs:  License Questons | Examination Questions

License Questions

I need to renew my license, how can I do that?

You can renew your license online or mail your renewal and the correct fee to our office.  You may also visit our office during normal business hours.

If your license has expired more than 30 days, you will not be allowed to renew online.  You will need mail your license renewal and payment to our office. 

What is your mailing address?

4815 West Markham, Slot 8
Little Rock, AR  72205

Where are you located?

We are located at 4815 West Markham in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I renewed my license online weeks ago, but have not received it yet. What should I do?

If you do not receive your license within 10 to 14 days, please contact us at or at (501)682-2168.

My license has expired. How long do I have to renew my license?

You may renew your license up to five years after it expires.

Remember, you may not work with an expired license. If you work with an expired license, you may receive a violation by the Cosmetology Inspector.

If your license has been expired for more than five years, you must apply for the examination.

I lost my license, how do I obtain another one?

You can obtain a duplicate license by mailing a check or money order for $25 to our office along with a copy of your Driver’s License and a letter stating your license has been lost or destroyed.

How do I transfer my out-of-state license to Arkansas (reciprocity)?

Please see the Reciprocity Requirements for Transferring a License for a list of requirements and the application form.

I'm moving out of state. How do I transfer my license?

Please contact the state which you are moving to for that state’s requirements. Additionally, you will need to complete a Certification of Record application, online or by mail. The fee is $50.00.

I want to open up a New Establishment, what do I need to do?

Our New Establishment form can be found here or you can apply online here.

I already own a salon but I am moving to another location. What do I need to do?

To change the location of your establishment, you will be required to submit an Establishment Relocation Application and pay the required fee.

I sold my salon to someone else. What do we need to do?

The new owner will need to complete an Establishment Change of Status application and pay the required fee.

How do I file a complaint?

A complaint must be in written form either mailed or you can email the complaint to
  •  Complaints need to be specific and detailed such as names, addresses, phone numbers, persons involved, pictures and specific details of the complaint.
  • Facebook photos without a specific complaint and details will not be investigated.
  • Depending on the severity of the complaint, the inspector in that territory will investigate when they are scheduled to be in that territory/town.

How do I obtain a copy of a complaint that was filed on me?

Under the FOIA you may request a copy of your complaint in writing. The request will be forwarded to our attorney and he will decide what information can be released.  Usually, names, phone numbers and email addresses are extracted before the complaint is sent to you.

Is a cosmetologist allowed to trim a customer's mustache or beard?

Yes, a cosmetologist may trim a customer’s mustache or beard with scissors or trimmers.  However, a cosmetologist may NOT shave a customer’s face or neck with a straight razor, disposable razor, or any other appliance without a barber’s license.  To obtain a barber’s license, please contact the Arkansas State Board of Barber Examiners. To obtain a barber’s license, please contact the Arkansas State Board of Barber Examiners.

What are the requirements to open a New School?

You can find the requirements online in our New School Application Packet.

Examination Questions

How do I apply for the practical and written examination?

A candidate must legibly and accurately submit a completed Application for Practitioner Examination form, Certificate of Training Form (from the school) and the examination fee to the Cosmetology Section.

What materials are available to study for the exam?

The Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) for each examination is available online at

What kind of ID do I need bring to the practical exam?

You must bring your admission notice.  The identification must be a valid form of government-issued identification (driver’s license, state ID, passport), which bears your signature, photograph, and date of birth.

I have passed both the written and the practical exam, how do I get my license?

The Cosmetology Section will mail your license to you within 7-10 days of receipt of your passing score(s).

How will I know if I am eligible to test for the written examination?

A letter will be emailed and mailed to you with information on how to contact PSI. Once you receive this, you may contact PSI to schedule your written examination.

How can I contact PSI to schedule my exam?

You can contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.

My name does not match my Government ID. Can I still take the exam?

No. If your name has changed you must notify the Cosmetology Section. 

What is the cost of the exam?

The written examination is $60 and paid directly to PSI.
The practical examination is $65 and paid directly to the Cosmetology Section and submitted along with your application for Exam.

Where are the exam locations?

The practical examination is administered at 101 East Capitol, Suite 106, Little Rock, AR  72201.
You will need to contact PSI for a list of locations for the written examination.

What happens if I do not show up to my written or practical exam?

Your application will be invalid, you will not be able to take the examination as scheduled, and you will be required to reapply for the next examination.  

Does an individual need a license to apply eyelash extensions for pay?

Yes, an individual would need a license to apply eyelash extensions for pay.  Specifically, the individual should be a licensed cosmetologist or aesthetician.