Key Points to Remember about the new health care law:
- The Affordable Care Act requires that everyone must have health insurance.
- It requires that insurance companies cover people with pre-existing conditions.
- It allows young adults under 26 to remain on their parent’s plan.
- Health plans are required to cover preventative services at no cost to you.
- The cost of insurance will be reduced for many people and financial assistance may be available if you qualify.
- There will be a financial penalty for those who go without health insurance.
- Open enrollment will begin October 1 and goes through March 31, 2014. Eligible Arkansans can enroll by phone, by mail, in person, or online at www.ARHealthConnector.org.
- Health care coverage starts as early as January 1, 2014.
The Arkansas Health Connector (AHC) was established by the Arkansas Insurance Department to manage and implement the new Health Insurance Marketplace (HIM) in Arkansas in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) of 2010. AHC, a division of the Arkansas Insurance Department, is federally funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) is partnering with the Arkansas Insurance Department (AID) to educate and provide enrollment assistance to Arkansans about the Health Insurance Marketplace.
The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) is working with the Arkansas Insurance Department (AID) as a Guide Organization. Each Guide Organization will employ In-Person Assisters (IPA Guides) to provide in-person assistance to consumers as the new health insurance coverage options become available in October 2013. ADH will have IPA Guides at each local health unit in the state. Beginning October 1, 2013, these IPA Guides will be available to help you enroll.
Health Connector Outreach
ADH is also working with AID as part of a Speaker’s Bureau to provide outreach, education and assistance to Arkansas communities and uninsured Arkansans who will be eligible to enroll in health insurance plans through the Health Benefits Exchange starting October 1, 2013.
Events can be found online at www.ARHealthConnector.org