Chronic Disease: Frequently Asked Questions
What is chronic disease?
A chronic disease is a disease that lasts a long time, at least three months or more according to the US Center for Health Statistics. They do not just disappear. Chronic diseases can be controlled but not cured. Many chronic diseases require health care management for effective long term treatment. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s and asthma are examples of chronic diseases.
The Chronic Disease Branch
The goal of the Chronic Disease Branch is to reduce the impact of chronic diseases and their risk factors in Arkansas. The goal is accomplished by providing:
- Public and professional education on the signs, symptoms and appropriate treatment of chronic diseases through community grants from the Diabetes Prevention and Control and Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Sections
- Building partnerships at the state and community level to advocate for prevention, treatment and control of chronic diseases.
- Partnering with state wide organizations to develop strategies and policies to reduce the burden of chronic diseases
- Providing technical assistance to Hometown Health Coalitions to develop strategies at the local level to reduce chronic diseases in their communities
3. Providing screening for some chronic diseases, such as breast and cervical cancer
- Screening services are provided at ADH local health units, Community Health Centers, Area Health Education Centers and primary care providers throughout the state of Arkansas.
- Mammograms are provided by contracts with FDA approved private providers at facilities throughout the state of Arkansas.
- Follow-up services are provided when tests indicate a pre-cancerous or cancerous condition.
The Chronic Disease Branch is organized into Sections by focus area.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Section
- Diabetes Prevention and Control Section
- Comprehensive Cancer Control Section
- Obesity Prevention Section
|Chronic Disease||4815 W. Markham Street, Slot 6|
Little Rock, AR 72205