It can be difficult to eat healthy when eating out, but it can be done. Below are some tips to help you keep up with your diet when you are away from home.
- Ask your waiter for nutrition information.
- Ask for whole grain breads and pasta.
- Choose places you know offer healthy choices.
- Keep copies of menus for your favorite restaurants. Decide what you will eat before you get there.
- Think about how you will balance your restaurant meal with your food during the rest of the day.
- You might want to save your fat for restaurant meals.
- Take along a brown bag meal or snack if you know your choices will be limited at work, on trips, or while running errands.
- Know your meal plan and correct portion sizes.
- Plan to take home leftovers. Set aside the portion you want to take home in a doggie bag as soon as you get the food.
- Order a salad and split a main dish with a friend.
- Order a green salad or broth-based soup to fill yourself up.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Don’t eat at buffets unless you know you can resist eating too much.
- Ask your waiter not to bring chips or bread before your main meal arrives.
Go to these websites to get more tips for eating healthy away from home: