The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) has been providing public health services to the citizens of Arkansas since 1913. The ADH has a mission to protect and improve the health and well-being of all Arkansans. Heart attack and stroke are the number one and number three causes of death in Arkansas. According to the 2007 Arkansas Cardiovascular Health Examination Survey (ARCHES) 48.3% of Arkansans have high blood pressure. By including the improvement of hypertension prevention, control and treatment as part of the ADH strategic plan for 2012-2014 and becoming a partner in the Million Hearts ™
initiative, the ADH should achieve optimal health outcomes among Arkansans.
The Arkansas Department of Health is supporting Million Hearts ™ by:
- Introducing Million HeartsTM to internal and external partners
- Providing information, presentations and links to Million HeartsTM on our public website
- Partnering with the Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care to support medical practices focusing on and monitoring the ABCS (Aspirin therapy, Blood pressure control, Cholesterol management, and Smoking cessation) in their effort to improve patient outcomes
- Educating Arkansas Chronic Illness Collaborative practice teams on using the ABCS to improve their system of care and patient outcomes
- Partnering with the Arkansas Chronic Disease Coordinating Council to adopt the Million Hearts ™ initiative’s objective to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over five years and demonstrate to Arkansans that improving the health system can save lives
With the help of our partners, the ADH hopes to decrease the number of heart attacks and strokes among Arkansans and improve the overall health outcomes of our citizens. Arkansas currently leads the nation in pledges to save a Million Hearts ™. Keep Arkansas in the lead. Pledge today! at http://millionhearts.hhs.gov/index.html
- Blood pressure control is critical to preventing heart attacks and strokes. The Million Hearts™ Blood Pressure Toolkit was designed to be used with patients to help address high blood pressure in your clinics and communities.
Tracking down the salt in food
*“The Million Hearts ™ word and logo marks, and the Be One in a Million Hearts™ slogan and logo marks and associated trade dress are owned by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Use of these marks does not imply endorsement by HHS. Use of the Marks also does not necessarily imply that the materials have been reviewed or approved by HHS.”