WISEWOMAN is a program to help women with no insurance get screenings and other services to help lower their risk for heart disease, stroke and other chronic diseases. This is a pilot program offered in Little Rock and North Little Rock, Arkansas for the first year. As funding becomes available this program may be expanded to other areas of the state.
Because WISEWOMAN is part of the BreastCare Program, it offers one-stop shopping to qualifying women.
Together these programs provide screenings for:
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- High blood sugar (pre-diabetes and diabetes)
WISEWOMAN also gives women the knowledge and the tools needed to stay active and to eat healthier through health coaching and lifestyle programs. These changes can have lasting health effects.
You may be able to join WISEWOMAN if you:
- Are a woman 40-64 years old
- Do not have health insurance (including Medicaid or Medicare)
- Have a low household income (at or below 250% of the federal poverty level)
- Live in Little Rock or North Little Rock, Arkansas
- Are a current or a new BreastCare client
WISEWOMAN offers health screenings at no cost to participating women, such as:
- Blood pressure testing
- Cholesterol testing
- Glucose (blood sugar) testing for prediabetes
- and diabetes
WISEWOMAN services teach women to make healthier food choices, stay active, and quit smoking to help prevent heart disease.
Services such as:
- Cooking classes
- Nutrition education
- Physical activity programs
- Doctor referrals
- Stop-smoking programs
- Weight management