The WIC Farmers' Market Nutrition Program (WIC FMNP) is operated by the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and is funded by the
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) through a grant to the Arkansas Department of Health.
The purposes of the WIC FMNP are to provide fresh, nutritious, unprepared fruits and vegetables from farmers’ market to women and children who are nutritionally at risk and to expand the awareness and use of farmers’ markets, as well as increase sales at such markets. During the farming season, WIC FMNP provides clients in the WIC Program with checks to purchase locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables sold by authorized farmers at authorized farmers’ markets..
Information about WIC FMNP can be obtained by contacting the WIC State Office at 501-661-2508, fax to 501-661-2004 or by e-mail.
Authorizing Farmers’ Markets and Farmers
Farmers’ markets must meet the following criteria to be selected and authorized for participation in the Arkansas WIC FMNP:
- Must be located in counties where participants are issued WIC FMNP checks.
- Must include Arkansas/local farmers selling their own produce.
- Must have or develop some formal organizational structure, i.e. market manager or manager elected to represent other farmers. In order to be considered a farmer's market - must have at least three farmers. A farm stand or roadside stand is not eligible for Arkansas WIC FMNP authorization.
- Must supply information required by the FMNPfor the purpose of determining eligibility, monitoring and reporting.
- Must comply with terms of the agreement between the market and WIC FMNP.
- Must have regular and sufficient hours of business, day of operation and a consistent and sufficient number of farmers providing produce available for sale.
- Must have established regular days and hours of operation with at least three WIC Approved Farmers selling produce at all times.
Farmers must meet the following criteria to be selected and authorized for participation in the Arkansas WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program:
- Must grow at least 50% of the Arkansas/locally grown fruits, vegetables and herbs sold from the stand/booth.
- Must agree to on-site farm inspection as part of the authorization process.
- Must only accept WIC FMNP checks for produce at farmers markets they are authorized for.
- Must sell produce in a market authorized by WIC FMNP.
- Must sell Arkansas locally grown fresh, unprocessed fruits, vegetables and herbs on a regular and consistent basis during the months of May through September.
- Must provide the WIC FMNP with the information contained on the application form and other information requested by the WIC FMNP.
- Must abide by terms of the agreement with the WIC FMNP.
Arkansas Farmers' Market Locations