Child Health Advisory Committee
ACT 1220 of 2003 created the Child Health Advisory Committee to address childhood obesity and develop statewide nutrition and physical activity standards. The Committee meets monthly and will make policy recommendations to the State Board of Education and the State Board of Health.
Major tasks mandated by the Act include:
- Removing elementary school student in- school access to vending machines offering food and beverages.
- Developing recommendations to ensure that nutrition and physical activity standards are implemented to provide students with the skills, opportunities and encouragement to adopt healthy lifestyles.
- Requiring schools to include as part of the annual report to parents and the community the amounts and sources of funds received from competitive food and beverage contracts.
- Requiring schools to include as part of each student's health report to parents an annual body mass index (BMI) percentile.
- Requiring schools to annually provide parents an explanation of the possible health effects of body mass index, nutrition and physical activity.
The Arkansas Department of Health and the Arkansas Department of Education in partnership with the Arkansas Center for Health Improvement (ACHI) are developing a statewide plan to assist schools in the implementation and reporting of the Body Mass Index to parents.
Meeting Dates & Times
|December 21, 2017||Cancelled||Cancelled|
|Brett Stone, M.Ed., M.P.H. - Chairman
AR Association of Health Physical Education, Recreation & Dance
|Rosemary Rodibaugh, PhD, RD, LD – Co-Chairman
University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service
Arkansas Department of Education
|Dolores Sutterfield, CDM, CFPP
Arkansas School Nutrition Association
|Dave Oberembt, Arkansas Government Relations Director
Arkansas Heart Association, American Cancer Society & American Lung Association
|Suzanne Bailey, Superintendent Lonoke School District
AR Association of Educational Administrators
|Shakia Jackson, MEd
Office of Minority Health & Health Disparities
Arkansas Department of Health
|Martha Phillips, PhD, MPH, MBA
Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health -
University of Arkansas Medical Sciences
|Lucas Harder, BS, JD
Arkansas School Boards Association
|Alan D. Mease, MD, FAAP
American Academy of Pediatrics
|Tamara Baker RN, MPH
Arkansas Department of Health
AR Association of School Business Officials
Arkansas Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
|Cheria Lindsey, RN
Arkansas School Nurse Association
|Elton Cleveland, MD
Arkansas Chapter of American Academy of Physicians
Arkansas Parent Teacher Association
|Carole B. Garner, MPH, RD, LD
Arkansas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
|Michele Brown, BSPE
|Micheal Knox, MS, MPH, DRPH Candidate
Arkansas Center for Health Improvement
Guide for Schools, Parents, and Communities
This guide provides information and guidance in developing a local school Nutrition and Physical Activity Advisory Committee. Included is a membership grid, sample invitation letter and sample agenda. Names and contact information of local resources who can assist in developing the local committees are included. State and National resource links are also listed in the guide. These resources provide information on obesity, nutrition, physical activity, and children's health.
|ACT 1220 of 2003|
|School Wellness Committee Toolkit|